Stress in School



I’m going to talk about something that seems a little off topic considering my blog, but what’s been on my mind recently.

This semester has become a difficult semester when it comes to my work load in most of my classes. Last semester, I signed up for the classes I’m taking now and I never thought that I picked three classes that contained a heavy work load and takes a lot of your time. 

I’m anxious person to begin with, so the growing amount of stress that I have felt over the past seven weeks has affected my mind set and self-confidence.

That has caused me to experience a lot of stress and anxiety.

I’m not talking about stress over of finances or chores that need to be done at home. I’m going to be showing that stress goes hand and hand with school.

Stress is “defined as the brain’s response to any demand,” according to the National Institute of Mental Health.  It is also encourages positive and negative change for a short period of time and long-term situations.

Under some conditions, Stress can be a survival tool. Animals use stress to get out life or death situations, so they are prepared to either run away or attack.

Anyone could develop problems with metal health. The National Institute of Mental Health says that children to adults can experience things in their lives that are stressful or are traumatic events.  

Signs of being extremely stressed out could be: having a rapid heart rate or if your heart skips a beat, when you start to breathe faster, sweating, having a trembling sensation and if you feel dizzy.

In the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, it says that there has been a rise of anxiety among college students between 1952 and 1993. Dr. Sharon Sevier, chair of the board of The American School Counselor Association and counselor at Lafayette High School in St. Louis, said in The Atlantic's article  that “she dealt with more “normal” teenage issues, such as conflicts with parents, friends and significant others” about 33 years ago, but has recently deals with more cases that involve chronic anxiety.

Sevier also says tests like the SAT, SAT Subject tests, PSAT, ACT, IB and AP exams put a lot of pressure on teenagers today. There is also the idea of having to over-commit from playing sports to passing classes. It also is hard to maintain a social life and family obligations.

Ways to reduce stress are talking about why you have stress, seeking help from a mental health care provider or counselor, know the signs of stress so you can calm down and many others.

My advice is to find something that makes you relaxed and happy. I like to sleep whenever I get stressed out because I’m not thinking about my problems anymore. I might also like sleeping!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief Note About Stomach Cancer

Answering Your Questions

New Year, New Updates and New Daily Regimen